Wednesday 15 September 2010

Sex, Religion and Politics

While browsing dA last night I noticed that a picture was in a group for Christian artists. So I took a look to see if their were any atheist artist groups... sure enough there was.

It's interesting, but I don't think I'll be joining any time soon.

Sure, I'm an atheist, but it's normal. I don't think I need to join a group for atheists any more than I need to join a group for people who have their hair cut. In my corner of Europe, I can go months without so much as hearing a mention of god, religious people are the minority it seems and they keep it to themselves for fear of ridicule.

Likewise with art and nudes. For me it's normal, nothing to be ashamed of. So why should I join the #respect-us kind of groups for models and photographers who do nudes?

I'm English, British, and European, -- just because dA seems full of Americans who are religious puritans, doesn't mean I should act differently.

Don't get me wrong, I strongly believe that art should be political, and more importantly, challenge social attitudes. But I'll challenge the social norms of MY society, I don't much care what Americans think.

No comments:

Post a Comment